Do you need a Certificate of Acceptance?

If you’re curious about a Certificate of Acceptance (CoA) it’s probably because you need one and you’re not too sure how to start the process.

What is a Certificate of Acceptance (CoA)

CoA is a document issued by your local council confirming that they believe, as far as they could ascertain, the specified unconsented building work complies with the Building Code.

It is important to note this certificate has a lower degree of quality assurance than a building consent or Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) would provide.

Prior to 1 July 1992 (when the Building Code came into effect), building work was not required to be inspected and signed-off by the Council. If the building work was completed after 1 July 1992, an application of CoA can be made if:

  • The work has been done without a Building Consent which should have been obtained; or
  • The work has been carried out for saving or protecting life or health, or preventing severe damage to property, when a building consent cannot practically be obtained in advance; or
  • A private accredited building consent authority (not a territorial or regional authority) granted consent but is not able or refuses to issue a CCC.

However, just because a CoA can be issued does not relieve a person from the requirements to obtain building consent on work for which a building consent is required.

If the work is being done under urgency, it is the owner’s reasonability to ensure that the work is done in accordance with the Building Code and supervised by suitably qualified personnel.

You’ll need to get a CoA as soon as practicable after completion of the repair work to avoid breaking the law under Section 42 of Building Act.

How EDC can help you with CoA application

As one of the statement authors registered with Auckland Council, Engineering Design Consultants (EDC) are qualified and competent to provide a structural assessment of any existing unauthorised building work that requires a CoA application.

We can help you not only with the structural assessment of existing unauthorised work, but also provide you with further assistance on the progress of your CoA application, such as attending CoA pre-application meeting, project management and coordination with other disciplines which may be required, such as architects, building surveyors and building service contractors.

We recommend obtaining a copy of the property file held by Council, to assist with the desktop study part of the work, before a site inspection is made.

If you’re feeling stuck and don’t know where to start, get the ball rolling and send us an email today. We have a wealth of knowledge we’d like to share and provide advice and assistance specific to your needs.

Comments are closed.