Engineering Design Consultants Ltd (EDC) is a medium-sized, multi-disciplined engineering consultancy providing clients with an innovative, reliable, friendly service and creative solutions to ensure a smooth pathway from conception to completion. We have offices on Auckland’s North Shore, Christchurch and in the Bay of Plenty (based in Whakatane), offering structural, civil, geotechnical, environmental and fire engineering services predominantly for architects, developers, planners, surveyors and building owners.
We focus on providing the right advice and designs every time and we require a motivated Intermediate Structural Engineer with a solid range of New Zealand experience, technical knowledge and project delivery ability to join our Whakatane Structural Team. You’ll be working alongside design teams, liaising with clients, contributing to the team strategy, running projects, all the while working with a great team full of likeminded people.
EDC looks after its employees. We offer good salaries, benefits and bonuses, and you’ll have the opportunity to join our incentive scheme for senior staff. EDC is fully owned by employees, and company ownership is a future prospect for senior staff subject to 12 months continued service and current shareholders’ sign off. We take pride in being adaptable, so this is your opportunity to develop your career in a direction that suits you, with plenty of support from the experience that already exists at EDC.
To contribute to the success of EDC in achieving its business and strategic goals by assisting the Structural Team Leader to deliver high quality professional consulting services to clients ensuring consistent levels of satisfaction, repeat business and opportunities for new business. To work as part of a professional team, to supervise and perform day to day structural engineering design and supervision responsibilities. Provide quality advice and checking of other engineers and consultants’ designs, as well as adopting best in-house design standards and engineering practices.
- Structural consulting engineering works including structural engineering design and documentation, construction monitoring, site inspections, investigation, testing and measuring and preparation of site inspection reports;
- Understand and solve complex structural engineering problems by applying first principles;
- Undertake structural analysis modelling that accurately reflects the physical conditions;
- Prepare structural calculation packages that are largely error free;
- Co-ordinating projects with other members of staff;
- Preparation of construction tender documents;
- Prepare fee proposals and tenders for work;
- Preparation of pre-purchase property / structural and unauthorised building works reports;
- Preparation of insurance reports on structural damage;
- Review and consolidate existing EDC structural systems, including specifications, software, and design standards.
- To ensure that all work undertaken, and behaviour exhibited is in accordance with appropriate professional and technical standards and in accordance with EngNZ Code of Ethics and appropriate standards.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of guidelines, technical standards, legislation, and codes of practice relevant to Structural Engineering practice in New Zealand.
- Ensure all work is appropriately designed, checked, published, and distributed in accordance with EDC QA and IT policies.
- Assist Senior Structural Engineers with training and mentoring of more junior staff.
- Client liaison, marketing, and networking to ensure client satisfaction, repeat business and identification of new opportunities in the market;
- Liaison with geotechnical, civil and fire engineering areas of the business to provide a total service solution to clients.
- Possible travel around New Zealand including visits to Canterbury and Auckland to work in the Christchurch or Albany offices.
- Any other duties the Employer may reasonably require the Employee to perform.
- Internal: Directors, Structural Manager, Structural Team Leaders, other Senior Engineers including Geotechnical and Environmental/Civil Engineers, other engineering staff within EDC.
- External: Clients, Contractors, Architects, Councils.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A tertiary qualification in structural engineering;
- Chartered or working towards Chartered Professional (CPEng);
- Minimum of 3 years professional experience in structural engineering in NZ preferred;
- Experience in design with steel, concrete, timber, and masonry structures.
Skills and Knowledge:
- A track record in structural engineering assessments and designs across a variety of projects;
- Ability to manage own timeframe to ensure client deadlines are met, while delivering financial targets.
- Hard working with good time management skills and ability to meet deadlines;
- Experience with briefing draughting staff and checking their work;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Good working knowledge of computers and relevant technical software;
- Full clean NZ drivers’ licence.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships, both internally and externally;
- Aptitude to learn new tools / software as required;
- Desire to maintain and increase professional knowledge through up skilling and on-going training and/or development;
- Excellent inter-personal skills to collaboratively work and contribute within the team on projects;
- Self-motivated with the ability to lead projects;
- Keen to up-skill in the design and use of environmentally friendly and efficient construction materials and processes.
Please note, recruitment agency services are not required at this time.